Fixing things in your home that don’t have moving parts is pretty simple, but if you tackle something that moves, like your garage door, you might find yourself a little more challenged. If it’s the wheels, the springs, the opener or the door itself, they all play a part in the door’s work as it travels up and down. There are certainly more pieces that can struggle to hang a picture on the wall or re-tack a piece of carpeting on a complex device like this and garage door repairs can be tricky if you do not know what you’re doing. Still, you’ll be able to do some simple repairs yourself to save the money you’d have to pay a repairman for. Visit us on Reasons Why Your Garage Door Won’t Work.
A garage door is not a piece of equipment you can disregard. To keep it functioning properly it needs tender loving care. You need to inspect every portion of the door occasionally. Are all tight screws? Are the tracks clear or rubbish-filled? There are loose wires in there? Sensor lights are all shiny? A fast over will tell you what you’ve got to know. After you have identified possible problems, most of the items you have noticed can be fixed fairly easily.
You need to grease all of the moving parts at the door once a year. Lubrication will not only keep the door running smoothly, but an oil coating will protect exposed parts against rust. You want to use the oil to reach high quality. Squeeze drops on to the parts you want to protect, and then wait for the oil to penetrate for half an hour. Finally you can use a clean rag to wipe off the excess oil.
A torsion spring is one of a garage door’s key mechanical parts, and will need to be replaced every 4 to 7 years. It is a spring that is normally located near a wall, above the door. There’s no chance that if a spring torsion splits, you’ll know it. For most people, a task for a specialist is to remove this sort of spring which is filled with a large amount of pressure. It’s the sort of repair that the average homeowner shouldn’t tackle given the potential for injury.
The automatic opener is another part of your door that you probably won’t want to try to fix by yourself. If you choose to troubleshoot this piece of equipment, make sure you turn off the battery before doing anything else.
If you have a car, a secure garage with properly working garage doors and garage door openers is necessary. At the same time, it’s equally important that you know how to fix a garage door if something is going wrong with your system. The overhead garage door openers run on springs and such a garage door repair is relatively easy to perform. Some of the steps you may take are: o If the door openers ‘ metal tracks are loose, secure the brackets with the bolts or screws. But, if you notice the tracks are badly damaged while doing the repair, remove them. click for more info about garage door repair.
- Make sure door opener tracks are matched correctly. Both of the tracks on the garage walls must be at the same height. While doing the repair, if you notice the tracks aren’t aligned the right way, loosen the bolts and carefully tap the track into place. After you’re done make sure you secure the bolts.
- Before fixing a garage door, make sure that the tracks are washed with a concentrated household cleaner to remove dirt and hardened grease. Thoroughly clean the rollers, and then dry the tracks and rollers.
- Lubricate the tracks and rollers on the rollers with lubricant spray or powdered graphite, and silicone spray and household oil.
- Be sure to check for loose hardware during the repair, and tighten it as needed. Test the plates where the spring is mounted to make sure the screws are tight for garage gate openers which have swing-up system. Check the hinges in other situations, and remove the damaged ones. If the openers on one side show signs of sagging then fix them by servicing the hinges. Make sure the wood that holds the hinge on isn’t scratched or chipped.
- Next, check the door opener springs to make sure it’s stuck in the holes or notches on either side of the door. If you are facing some difficulties when reparing the garage door try to adjust the tension in the garage doors by removing the spring hook to the next hole or notch. In cases where a spring cable on a pulley controls the garage gate openers, you can try to adjust the tension by pulling the cable further through the plate above the gates, and reknot the end to retain the tension.
- It is very important to take care of your protection if your garage door openers with roll-up facilities have only one tension spring in the center of the door. If that’s the build, be sure you never try to repair it yourself. The friction in such spring forms is huge, and if you try to repair the door yourself you could be severely injured. In such cases please call a qualified garage door repair service.