If you have a car, a secure garage with properly working garage doors and garage door openers is necessary. At the same time, it’s equally important that you know how to fix a garage door if something is going wrong with your system. The overhead garage door openers run on springs and such a garage door repair is relatively easy to perform. Some of the steps you may take are: o If the door openers ‘ metal tracks are loose, secure the brackets with the bolts or screws. But, if you notice the tracks are badly damaged while doing the repair, remove them. click for more info about garage door repair.
- Make sure door opener tracks are matched correctly. Both of the tracks on the garage walls must be at the same height. While doing the repair, if you notice the tracks aren’t aligned the right way, loosen the bolts and carefully tap the track into place. After you’re done make sure you secure the bolts.
- Before fixing a garage door, make sure that the tracks are washed with a concentrated household cleaner to remove dirt and hardened grease. Thoroughly clean the rollers, and then dry the tracks and rollers.
- Lubricate the tracks and rollers on the rollers with lubricant spray or powdered graphite, and silicone spray and household oil.
- Be sure to check for loose hardware during the repair, and tighten it as needed. Test the plates where the spring is mounted to make sure the screws are tight for garage gate openers which have swing-up system. Check the hinges in other situations, and remove the damaged ones. If the openers on one side show signs of sagging then fix them by servicing the hinges. Make sure the wood that holds the hinge on isn’t scratched or chipped.
- Next, check the door opener springs to make sure it’s stuck in the holes or notches on either side of the door. If you are facing some difficulties when reparing the garage door try to adjust the tension in the garage doors by removing the spring hook to the next hole or notch. In cases where a spring cable on a pulley controls the garage gate openers, you can try to adjust the tension by pulling the cable further through the plate above the gates, and reknot the end to retain the tension.
- It is very important to take care of your protection if your garage door openers with roll-up facilities have only one tension spring in the center of the door. If that’s the build, be sure you never try to repair it yourself. The friction in such spring forms is huge, and if you try to repair the door yourself you could be severely injured. In such cases please call a qualified garage door repair service.