Black Mold Removal Products

Black mold or mildew (stachybotrys) is an extremely toxic type of fungus that grows in areas where air quality is poor; often growing in buildings and on other materials that have experienced significant damage to water. It is especially fond of anything that contains cellulose.You may want to check out NYC mold specialists for more.

Those that are unfortunate enough to breathe in the spores frequently suffer headaches and nausea as well as mouth , throat and nose soreness that can cause persistent coughing and other allegic reactions such as a rash and sneezing. Breathing in the mold can also, in the worst cases, lead to extreme nausea and severe vomiting, as well as bleeding in the nose and lungs and possibly death. So it is imperative to remove it as quickly and safely as possible.

Many homeowners often find that black mold, which actually appears black or green, develops in kitchens and bathrooms on window sills, as well as basement areas because they are most susceptible to conditions such as humidity, darkness and lack of adequate ventilation. It can come up anywhere, however, if the right conditions are met. In addition, household mold can typically be found in any dim, dank, or steamy places like plumbing areas, attics, and other crowded storage spaces both indoors and outdoors. Garages and backyard sheds that are exposed to plenty of rain or snow can also be ideal breeding grounds for blooming mold and mildew, and should be regularly inspected.

Exposure to bright sunlight, as well as maintaining proper air flow, will help prevent its growth. If possible, ensure a good ventilator fan is mounted in every space in your home where mold has been found.

It’s also a good idea to run the ventilator (or at least keep a window open a little bit) while you bathe or shower to suck the moisture out of the bathroom and keep the air circulating to avoid mold build-up. Yes, because mold tends to grow first on window sills, it’s a good idea to make sure that every few days you open the windows so that any sort of window covering, such as drapes and blinds, can air out before they have a chance to become spore breeding ground. It’s also prudent to run ceiling fans or portable fans in any room where water has collected to dry it out faster from either leaks or spills.

While many people believe that with chlorine bleach they can kill black mold, they will soon find that using it only serves to “mask” their appearance, giving them a mistaken sense of security. In fact, bleach isn’t strong enough to kill the mildew at its roots, and despite the dousing it can still grow and spread. This is because bleach itself is made primarily from water, which, after initial cleaning, ends up encouraging more growth. Furthermore, chlorine bleach is not strong enough to penetrate wood and/or drywall, so while the surface may appear clean the spores may continue to breed within.